Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Baby #5 Countdown is ON!

Today I'm 31 weeks pregnant. Translation: I've got about 2 months to get prepared for our newest arrival!

My question to whoever is reading this:

Any tips on good foods to make ahead and freeze or store in the pantry?

Some of the things I'm considering are:
~ making and freezing waffles
~ making a pancake mix (dry ingredients only) to store in the pantry
~ cooking and shredding chicken then freezing in various portions
~ making (but not baking) cookie balls and freezing for treats


And because we may end up with a solid amount of zucchini and tomato (and possibly pumpkin!), I'm probably going to:
~ chop and boil zucchini and freeze
~ de-core tomatoes and freeze
~ shred zucchini and freeze

3 comments:

Team Whitney said...

Hi!

Two ideas:

#1 - Do you crockpot your chicken to shred it? It makes it so easy! All you have to do is leave it in there for a couple of hours (on low) after it's cooked and it comes apart really easily.

#2 - Calzones are one of our favorite freezer meals. You can make the stuffing with things that you have on hand (one idea is to put some of those tomatoes and zucchini in a pot with some Italian spices and let them cook down...then add some cooked ground meat and cheese and let the flavors come together). Then just make pizza dough and make mini circles, put about 1/4 C of the stuffing in, fold them over and pinch the end...then they are freezer ready. They can be stuck in the oven at 400 for 15 minutes (when thawed) or probably just a little longer if still frozen.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

I've got a yummy zucchini bread recipe that freezes well. You can also make them as muffins. I shred my zucchini by pealing it, cutting into medium pieces then putting it in my blender. Here's the link to the recipe...

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/zucchini-bread

I've also froze home made chicken pot pie before and it freezes well. e-mail me if you'd like the recipe.:)

Cara said...

Oooh, Kia! We're in the same countdown mode, and I'm doing freezer meals too... so far I've done some broccoli cheese soup, veggie chili, a cheeseburger macaroni casserole, bolognese sauce for pasta, a bbq chicken thing, sloppy joe mix. Banana or zucchini bread is great, but we usually eat it almost as fast as I can get it in the freezer. :) There's an awful lot that's easy to freeze... if you don't run out of containers. One thing that has worked well for me a couple of times is making a HUGE batch of whatever we're having for dinner and then freezing half or two thirds of it for later. Makes a big mess, but it's very rewarding to have fed your family for the night AND have two more meals for the weeks ahead!

Excited for you guys as you rev up for #5!