Friday, April 17, 2009

Insults

My Quiet Times have revealed the following lately: I don't do well with insults.

The good news: God is so at work on me in this area!

I get lots of comments on "how many" kids I have all the time. Maybe that's why I try not to go out alone with them so often. The comments (or looks) usually come at the grocery store or the library, the only places I frequent on a regular basis.

My response has been nothing less than shameful, I am sorry to admit, though I have seen growth. This verse helped me realize this indeed is an area the Lord would have me call on Him and ask Him to help me in.

The vexation of a fool is known at once,
but the prudent ignores an insult. (Proverbs 12:16)

Why is it so bad to get angry when people "insult" (in quotes b/c often the comments/looks themselves are not insults but I take them that way) me? The answer to that is found in another good Proverb.

Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding,
but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly. (Proverbs 14:29)

Friends, I do NOT have great understanding... yet. But I want to. And so I am on a mission to confess this nasty sin (which probably has it's root in pride and self-righteousness) and trust God to not stop until I am changed!

So, there you have it. God is using our family size to conform me more to His image! How kind of God to use our situations, different for each one of us and yet no less tough, exhausting, and multilayered, to make us more like Him.

And for the record, regarding our family size, the Lord (who alone controls the womb) has faithfully continued to do what He spoke to William and I early in our marriage, give us "a big family." And as we add kiddos to our family we realize how subjective "big" is! As William has said, "Five just doesn't seem like a lot anymore."

No comments: