Saturday, December 06, 2008

What Would You Do?


So William is out buying some plumbing stuff since our kitchen sink is broken... again. He's got the 3 biggies with him. Paloma's sleeping and I'm needing to get dressed. Anyway, I just saw some one steal our newspaper.

I'd love to know what you would do in this situation.

We are missing our paper at least 2 times a week. It's hard getting out there to get it for a variety of reasons. I'm irritated (yes, angry!) that whoever delivers it NEVER places it at our steps or on our porch. There's no excuse for that in my mind b/c we're so close to the street. Also, we only get the paper for my coupons (Sundays) and the ads (various days).

I do know that at the end of the day it is just a newspaper that'll get tossed in the recycling bin or be used for snowy feet. But I don't want to pay for something that's just gonna be stolen either.

So, what do you think? How would you handle this situation?

3 comments:

Team Whitney said...

Are you ever up early enough to see the paper delivered? Is there a way you could meet the person one morning (maybe with some cookies for good measure) and explain that the paper gets taken and ask for it to be put right by your door? I know that would be a lot of work on that day, but who knows...it might pay off! (p.s. I've seen posts on AFC about people developing a relationship with their paper person and getting extra inserts--because paper people get a bunch)...and maybe you could be a witness in this person's life ;)

Waitsfam said...

I would call the paper's circulation department and ask for the department head. Explain the situation and ask him to get a message to the carrier requesting he throw it up to the porch.

I wouldn't be ugly, but I would also tell the circulation dept. that it doesn't make sense for you to continue subscribing if you don't enjoy the benefit of consistently having a paper. With circulation rates dropping, each subscriber is important, so that should plant the idea that if they don't do better they could lose you.

Renee said...

I was going to say the same thing that the "Waitsfam" comment said.

We had a similar situation when we first started getting our paper. I, too, only ordered the paper to get the coupons, so I was angry over ours not appearing at our doorstep on Sunday mornings. I called when it didn't show up on our doorstep, and they delivered it again. I don't know if someone stole it, or if it just wasn't delivered. Now it's not a problem.

But, for you....you said you saw the person who stole it. Do you know them? A neighbor? Can you approach them and humbly ask them if they took your paper? Besides getting up at the crack of dawn to snatch your paper, that's my only other suggestion. Let us know how it works out!