Friday, December 05, 2008

Toil

A bit ago I shared that I was honored to share my testimony at the last women's meeting at church. Now, I'm not writing this to puff myself up but instead to give God the honor He rightfully deserves. Trust me, if you think I'm messed up and crazy now you should have known me then! God has done MUCH in me... and He's still working!

This morning I continued to think about TOIL, the acronym I used to remember a little of what I read in Peacemaker by Sande:

TRUST God
OBEY God
IMITATE God
LOOK TO God (Sande says 'aknowledge God' but I like acronyms!)

I read today in Sande that when I give in to my wants & desires that are sinful I imitate the devil! Whoa, baby! That is strong. I do not want to imitate the Enemy of my soul.

But, do that I have when I yell at my kids (just yesterday, in fact) with the attitude of "You should do this because I deserve" or "Don't you see how much I do for you." Those are thoughts that make the devil happy for I am focusing on self INSTEAD OF the One who saved me by taking care of the most important (and I do mean THE MOST important) need I have: my sin problem.

The thought I want to meditate on today and demonstrate to my kiddos is that I am trusting God to help me trust , obey, imitate, & look to Him.

James 4 gives me direction in HOW to fight my sinful, selfish desires. Here are these words of hope I am clinging to:

Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

Thank You, Lord God, for not leaving me in the dark. Thank You for your Word which truly lights my path, grants me vision and hope. Help me as I toil this day in the ways You have determined. May I be joyful as I do all work, especially in training my children in righteous, in a manner that honors You. Open my eyes more to see the idols I have created. And help me trust, obey, imitate, and look to You as sanctify me for Your glory and my good.

No comments: