Friday, July 25, 2008

Zantac Revisited

It goes without saying that William and I are out of our minds so most of you can brush what I'm about to share off to that.




So, this is what William decided to do last night... Oh, he's holding the bottle of Zantac.



Then he did this... Yes, he LOVES to smell everything.

And finally he tasted the Zantac and made this face...



All of that took place after reading the list of possible side effects which include: hallucinating, constipation, diarrhea, severe headaches, irregular heartbeat, and that's just to name some.


So, we revisited the whole Zantac thing for our 15-day old gal. We got lots of very helpful feedback both in support of Zantac and in support of not using Zantac. (Thank you EVERYONE for your comments and emails!) And while we are certain some babies have truly benefited from taking Zantac, we feel led to try a different route as Paloma didn't poop ALL DAY yesterday for the first time. We know this is a result of having taking the med for one 24-hour period. And after experiencing Saraina as an infant with constipation (she once went for a 17-day streak of not having a bowel movement!) we do not want to mess around with that!

I'm going to cut out things I know are generally common to increase tummy discomfort and/or are common allergens. Basically, I'm cutting out dairy (with the exception of a little cream in my few sips of coffee and butter - though I may buy something today that I can use in place of it), acidic foods like tomatoes, citrus fruits, etc. I'm eating lots of potatoes, zucchini, rice, turkey, chicken, nectarines, peaches, grapes, and bananas. I could kick myself for not planting zucchini in our garden! Urgh!


AND... (drum roll!) we ordered Colic Calm late last night to give to our baby girl. What we've read and have heard from a close friend makes it a no-brainer for us. It's worth $25 to try. I'll let you know how it all goes. If you're interested in knowing what it is, click on the link above.


FINALLY, please do pray for us, if the Lord brings it to your remembrance. Please pray:

- that Paloma's discomfort would end, that she would be healed in whatever areas she needs
- that Paloma would begin to have bowel movements regularly
- that Paloma would gain weight
- that Paloma would be able to tolerate my breast milk
- that I would have energy and wisdom to care for Paloma (and the big 3!), especially during the night hours
- that William and I would continue to remind one another of God's sovereignty and care for us and our kiddos during this time.

Time for lunchtime prep!
~kia

No comments: