Monday, July 21, 2008

Paloma's First Week

Blog entry began on July 15 but it has taken me this long to actually post it!


Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20-21)


We are in the midst of transition here in Whitneyville. And verses like the one above bring much comfort to my weary soul as my prayer list get longer and longer. We are thrilled to have Palmona with us (though people continue to ask me when I'm going to have my baby so I guess I look very pregnant still!) and are enjoying her sweet addition to our family.

Things have not been normal in that my sister and my neice have been with us this past week (and are probably in mid-air returning home as I write this!) helping me survive. William has also worked a lot from home to be available. We also had a brief visit from Grammy over the weekend. At one point we had five kids and four adults under our roof and I was amazed that it wasn't as crazy as I thought it'd be.

Here are some pictures to capture what Paloma's first week in Whitneyville has been like.

Just prior to me going into labor, the kiddos had a great time playing out back...




Paloma in Mommy's belly. This was taken late afternoon/early evening. Paloma arrived just about 4 hours later! I know. Not a flattering picture at all. But it does show that I look like I am about to pop!
Kiddos and big cuz playing in the pool Auntie shipped to our house to enjoy. Clearly we have no shame in how crazy our backyard looks!


Here we are waiting out front for Daddy to arrive. It's about 6:30ish PM at this point. I showered and put on a dress as I remember how quickly the last two kiddos came and how difficult it was having other people undress me, a big prego-lady who's water broke! Bad, bad, bad. Always wear a dress!And Daddy arrived and moved real quick! He made exceptional time as he was at work an hour away and scheduled to go to a night meeting.

We arrived at the hospital just before 7pm. I was bummed that valet parking wasn't in effect as we had to park and walk a bit more than I would have liked.

Arriving at the hospital shots...

William making me laugh between contractions. Oh- and the baby monitor is on my belly at this point.

Our midwife Noreen was wonderful! What a difference having her opposed to our previous doctors! Classic Noreen says, "If you feel like pushing go ahead and push!" as she gently pats my knee with a smile. None of that clinical doctor speak and having to wait for the hospital staff to be ready. My favorite line from Noreen was, "Oh yes. You're gonna have this baby by 8." I take the effort to look at the clock, which read 7:55 PM, and thought she was joking. Obviously she knew what she was talking about!Experiencing pain.
After the pain of childbirth Paloma Joy entered the world. Here are some shots of her during her first 24-hours.

We were able to leave the hospital after Paloma received her 24-hour check. How sweet it was going home! All the kids were sleeping when we got home but when William took Joshua to the potty before bedtime we let him meet his newest little sister. His eyes got large and his smile so warmed my heart. He is such a good big brother!

On Sunday and at the ripe age of 4 days old, Paloma Joy attended her first church service. It was sweet having family attend that service with us as well. Grammy, Auntie Seve, and cousin Celeste were all in attendance with us.

And that's enough. This post was ridiculously long. Sorry!

2 comments:

Jerusha said...

We are so excited for you! What a wonderful blessing. You'll be in our prayers.

Team Whitney said...

Wonderful pictures! We are so happy to have Paloma here and that everything went well with her arrival. Praise God!