Monday, May 12, 2008

Coffee Slow-Cooker Roast

This may be a no-brainer for most of you but I had no idea people actually used COFFEE to cook meat. Anyway, seeing how I've become HIGHLY fond (okay, really addicted, slightly!) of that "black gold" I had to give it a shot. I've made it twice with a few differences because of what I had on hand but overall, very simple and very flavorful. And if you don't dig coffee, trust me when I tell you you can't taste it at all! I was actually wondering if the kids would notice but... NOPE! And it didn't keep them awake either!

BASIC COFFEE SLOW-COOKER ROAST

INGREDIENTS

1 Beef roast (I used a 1.5 lb the first time and a 3 lb roast the 2nd time)
2 - 4 cups coffee (nice and STRONG!!! amount depends on how much gravy you want)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 large onion quartered

Any other vegetables that sound good (green pepper, garlic, celery, carrots)
½ cup beef broth (omitted this the 2nd time b/c I didn't have any on hand)
~ 1/4 cup flour to thicken the gravy (used whole wheat)
~ 1/4 cup water for the gravy (depends on how much liquid you used and how thick you want your gravy)

Any other seasonings that sound good (rosemary, basil, chili powder, etc.)

DIRECTIONS

1- Brew your strong coffee


2- Cut onion (and any other veggies) and place in bottom of slow cooker

3- Wash roast and place on top of onion (and other veggies). Pour brewed coffee on top.

4- Slow cook on HIGH for 6 hours. Turn once or twice.

5- Add beef broth after ~3 hours (if using)

6- Once beef is done, remove and shred/cut. While beef is out of pot, turn cooker on LOW.

7- Mix flour and water (and any other seasonings) in small measuring cup till no lumps and add to sauce to thicken up. Add meat back to slow cooker and cook till thick (or till dinnertime!).

No comments: