Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Another Eggless Recipe to Try: Strawberry Oatmeal Bars

I got THIS recipe from The Pioneer Woman (beware: she's a wild woman!). Of course, I don't follow directions (I just couldn't add all that butter or sugar!) so here's what I ended up making...



Strawberry Preserve Oatmeal Bars


INGREDIENTS:

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 stick of butter (almost 1/2 of what the recipe called for!)

2/3 cup applesauce

~3 T honey (I didn't measure! Oops!)

a few healthy sprinkles of cinnamon

1.5 cups whole wheat flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1.5 cups (or a bit more) oats

a little less than a 10-oz jar of strawberry preserves

WHAT I DID:

Mix butter and brown sugar together till smooth. Add applesauce and stir.

Add salt, baking powder, flour. Mix till smooth and then add oats.

Once all combined, pour 1/2 of the oat mixture into a buttered 8" dish and then spread the preserves over evenly.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool completely and cut into squares.

NEXT TIME...

~ I'll keep the butter cold. I melted my butter and so it turned out kinda cake-like.
~ I'll try to decrease the butter even more.
~ I'll add a bit of vanilla to see if that makes a difference.
~ I'll decrease the sugar a smidge.

No comments: