Thursday, March 27, 2008

Our Fave Homemade Fried Chicken

Looking for an easy but tasty and not deep-fried chicken recipe? Try this out. Oh- there are lots of steps but they are easy. The hardest part is cleaning and cutting up the chicken (in my opinion). In fact, if you're like us, you'd prefer making this with all skinless chicken thighs! And then it's REAL easy!!!

Easy Fried Chicken and Gravy (slightly adapted from HERE)

What Ya Need for the Chicken

1 whole chicken (3 or 4ish pounds)
~3/4 cup flour
season all (or something similar)
paprika
black pepper
whatever other seasonings you love
a few tablespoons of oil (I use vegetable)
~3/4 cup (or more!) water, divided
more seasonings you love


What Ya Do to the Chicken

1- Cut it up, wash it, and take off the skin (unless you like the skin!)
Note: I do this in a big bowl right in my sink and throw the "yuckies in a plastic bag right next to the sink. Less mess.

2- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and add to coat the chicken well.
Note: I'm still using my sink and that same bowl.

3- Heat 10 or 12 inch skillet with oil. Add chicken when it begins shimmering ( NOT SMOKING!). Add your seasonings to one side and be very liberal! Brown chicken on both sides very well. Add more seasonings when you turn the chicken over. Can take a good 15 or so minutes. Chicken will NOT be done!
Note: I brown the chicken breasts separately b/c they tend to be extra dry to us. Also, do not turn the chicken until it's looking pretty brown. If you mess this part up it won't get crispy.

4- After all pieces are browned add about 1/2 cup of water to the skillet. You want the bottom of the skillet to be completely covered in water. Add the lid and cook for about 10 minutes. Check for doneness.

5- Place chicken on a metal rack on a baking sheet. Try to not let chicken touch. Put in a 300 degree oven for about 20 minutes to crisp up.
Note: I put foil on the baking sheet for easier clean up.


What Ya Do for the Gravy

1- After putting the chicken in the oven, add a water and flour mixture (and any other seasonings you like) to the skillet. Wisk well to avoid lumps.
Note: I use about 1/4 cup of water and 2-3 tablespoons of flour and only add additional seasonings after tasting. Other good additions would be finely chopped shallots or onions, garlic, and thyme!

2- Stir over medium heat till desired consistency.

And if I wasn't so embarrassed to show how I butcher a whole chicken when I cut it up, I'd post a picture! But, nope! Perhaps next time...

No comments: