Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Grace & Poop Paradox

In my Quiet Time this morning I made time to read chapters 1 and 2 of The Grace and Truth Paradox by Randy Alcorn. One line I was really affected by I shared with William at breakfast. Randy tells a brief story about him meeting with a woman who "raised her voice and cursed freely." He writes, "Jesus went to the cross for her - the least I could do was listen."



WOW!



As I shared this with William I said I wanted to remember that phrase because it was so helpful. I even said, "Jesus went to the cross for Saraina. The least I can do is clean up her poop." Well, guess what happened already this morning?



Yep. She pooped in her underwear and it wasn't even 9 am. My first reaction (and honestly second and third!) was anger. I said to God out loud, "Why?" In training and disciplining the kiddos I get absolutely confused. Am I trying to potty train her too early? Does she need to be disciplined? Is she understanding? How do I clean this up with a joyful heart? How many times do I have to go through this?



But, in the midst of my anger and sin, I remembered what God directed me to in my Quiet Time. This situation was another example of me needing to display grace AND truth. I can't allow for one to be the dominant force. I need to show both. I said to myself, "Jesus died on the cross for Saraina. The least I can do is clean up her poop."



So, I cleaned up her and her poop. And then during Circle Time as the kids were reciting their memory verses and Saraina loudly (and correctly!) got Philippians 2:14 right, I used that to share with them how Mommy sinned just minutes earlier. I confessed my anger and my grumbling and questioning during Saraina's accident. I asked Saraina to forgive me for my anger towards her and told them that I needed to ask God to help me, "Do all things without grumbling or questioning." Funny how God uses Circle Time to grab my attention and help me see MY sin. And oh, how Saraina was quick to forgive her Mama!



Oh- and if you have ANY wisdom on potty training that may help me, please do share as I am hating this potty training thing!

No comments: