Friday, February 08, 2008

Wacky Cake - Egg-free, Dairy-free

Because so many people seem to be experiencing this crazy allergy madness, I thought I'd share our new and favorite Chocolate Cake recipe. It's from America's Test Kitchen (2/2006) and can be found at Cook'sCountry.com.



First, William really likes this cake. True, I've only made it once but it was so good to him that he kept asking if I really did not put eggs in it. I was shocked he actually liked it... and that's without icing or whipped cream or even confectioners' sugar! (But he does say it would be even better WITH whiped cream or icing!)



So, if try it let me know if you like it too!



Ingredients:



1.5 cups flour

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup cocoa powder

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

5 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 tablespoon white vinegar

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup water

Confectioners' sugar



Directions:



1. Set oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. (Note: I used a glass 9x13 b/c I don't have the own they rec'd)



2. Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt, together in pan. (Note: I mixed these things in a bowl and then put it in the pan.



3. Make 1 LARGE and 2 small craters in the dry ingredients. Add oil to the large crater and vinegar and vanilla separately to the remaining small craters. (Note: my oil spilled out of the large crater a bit but didn't touch the vanilla or vinegar. It is important that the three different ingredients don't mix until the right time!)



4. Pour water into the pan and mix with a WOODEN spoon until just a few streaks of flour remain. Immediately put pan in oven. (Note: I was concerned b/c the ingredients didn't look "mixed" at all and some parts seemed thicker and other parts seemed thinner but I stuck it in the oven anyway. The key is to not mix too much or too long.)



5. Bake about 30 minutes. Cool in pan and dust with Confectioners' sugar. (Note: I baked mine about 22 minutes and it was done. And I forgot to sprinkle with the Confectioners' sugar!)

1 comment:

Jerusha said...

Thanks for the recipe. Since we are another allergy kid family it is good to have some yummy recipes. I'm just wondering where the picture of the cake is? Did William eat it all before you could snap a shot?

Miss you guys.