Friday, February 01, 2008

Baby Four and Diastasis Recti

Where shall I begin...

Had my ultrasound with the high risk doc yesterday. The midwife wanted me to see him to check on the size and location of my fibroids, esp. since she seemed a little concerned when I told her how quickly the last two kiddos came. If you're wondering WHY she's be concerned, with fibroids there is an increased chance of going into preterm labor.

The doc I saw today was cool. Very knowledgeable and easy to talk with. He was quick to tell me that the baby looks great and everything is normal. But, as I lifted my head at one point to look closer at the screen he noticed my cone belly.

Let me pause here. One way I can easily freak William out is to lay flat on my back and lift my head to unleash The Cone, aka my belly which looks like an alien is living inside. I've thought my cone belly was really my fibroid bulging out allowing me to see it growing. Nope.

The doc quickly said,"Lift your head again!" And immediately said, "You got diastasis recti. You see that?"

What?! The Cone actually has a name!!! This is great news!!!!

Doc explained that my abdomal muscles are split. Here's a blurb from what I found online:

For some women, pregnancy can cause abdominal separation (also called diastasis recti), a condition where the two right and left sides of the Rectus Abdominis —the “six-pack” muscle—spreads apart at the body’s midline, the linea alba. Separation occurs in response the force of the uterus pushing against the abdominal wall, and pregnancy hormones that soften connective tissue. Separation can occur anytime in the last half of pregnancy but is most problematic after pregnancy when the abdominal wall is weak.

But this is why I am so excited about this news. It finally explains so many of my ailments (potentially, of course!):

Abdominal separation/diastasis recti reduces the integrity and functional strength of the abdominal wall and can aggravate lower back pain and pelvic instability. Separation in a previous pregnancy significantly increases the probability, and severity, of the condition in subsequent pregnancies. Women expecting more than one baby, very petite women, those with a pronounced sway back, or with poor abdominal muscle tone are at increased risk. Genetics also plays a big role. For some women, it is simply how their bodies respond to pregnancy.

The doc also heard about the less than 10-minutes deliveries and said he definitely wants to check me further. Although I'm due in July, he said, "We may want to induce you at 38 or 39 weeks. Just think, if you went into labor in the parking lot on a day like today, your baby would freeze to death!" That got my attention. So, I made my next appointment and we'll take it from there.

Other Baby #4 news... he or she is definitely traveling solo. Translation: no twins. And that, friends, is God's kindness! Again, The Cone has probably made me look much bigger than I am / should be. The one fibroid doc was able to see is only slightly bigger than it was a month ago. That's good news!

Oh - and for my lady friends who are following, my official due date is still July 17th. I'm only 16 weeks along. Or so they think...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just want to say what a great blog you got here!
I've been around for quite a lot of time, but finally decided to show my appreciation of your work!

Thumbs up, and keep it going!

Cheers
Christian, iwspo.net