Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Much to Pray About

So we had a very challenging night. I guess God is really working on me, esp. in light of my post yesterday.

Here's the deal, our neighbors decided to have another late night quarrel. To be more accurate, around 11:30pm they decided to go outside in the rain and scream disgusting profanity, run through the streets, stand in front of various neighbors homes (including ours), and chain smoke till around 12:45am.

The cops then came b/c Nicole, the 15 year old decided to dial 911. But, while I am very grateful for the service the cops do across the country, I am disgusted by my interactions with them out here. They came (3 cars mind you) and left in less than 15 minutes! It was almost comical hearing the banter and wild screams trying to make sense of the mess. The cops didn't find any cause to do anything, I suppose, b/c they were gone by 1am!

Please pray for them and for us! We thought about calling the police again (after they left) but quickly ruled that out. So, instead, we just tried to rest.

Thankfully this all night activity hasn't happened since summertime. But we are in a situation that we feel calls for action. But what are we to do? Pretend like we don't hear them? Confront them?

I read 1 Peter today and am trying to see through His lens. My quick take-aways:
- our response should be done with humility
-our response should be done in love
-our response should not be out of fear
-our response should be to bless
-our response should involve rejoicing

That said, we do get weary. We are weary. And we would be very grateful for your prayers.

And we are looking forward to hearing some ideas from everyone out in the blogworld. We would appreciate Scripture references, if you have them, to help us in seeking the Lord on this matter.

Oh- and the other prayer request is about the Planned Parenthood issue. The kids and I went to the prayertime at the site yesterday and whew... talk about emotional! I've never been a big crier but for the first 15 or so minutes, that is all I could do. I also had 2 challenging encounters, 1 with a police officer and the other with a group of PP supporters (at least one of whom is a big NOW person here in IL). Perhaps I'll blog about that at some point but most likely not.

Weary but thanking God for saving a wretch like me,
~kia

Oh- and for those interested in this PP mess, check this out.

1 comment:

andrea_jennine said...

Kia, these words from Phil. 2 came to mind (not b/c I think you're complaining, but b/c your family is a light in a dark neighborhood!): "Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain."