Friday, September 07, 2007

Homemaker v Home Manager

First, I sure hope I didn't offend any one out there by sharing my take on the term 'homemaker' in THIS post. If I did, I apologize. I do use this blog as a journal of sorts at times and perhaps I need to rethink exactly what I post on this blog. That said...



I did get two people to give me some really good feedback and who challenged my preference of 'home manager' over 'homemaker.' One thing a dear friend commented on is how she makes the connection with God being the Maker to her role as homemaker. That really was good! And it certainly helps me see why so many women for so long have used it to describe what they do.



So why am I still stuck on 'home manager' then? It's probably a mental block of sorts but for me (and I do stress for me) I love how it forces me to see my time in the home as an opportunity for stewardship. Let's face it: I ain't bringin' any money into our storehouse! But being home all day and night, God has given me much time to steward.

Ephesians 5:15-17 is one of my Friday Scriptures and it says,

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.

I'm actively (meaning this is something I'm constantly working at!) trusting God in that which He has called me to and that which He has set before me to accomplish. I am seeking to love Him by managing my home in a way that would bring Him glory. And praise God that He is calling other women to make their home into something that would bring Him glory!

So, whether the WORK you have before you today is to MAKE, MANANGE, BUILD, ORGANIZE, or whatever, may you and I be faithful to what God's Word tells us in Colossians 3:23-24,

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.

Amen!
~ktw

No comments: