Thursday, July 26, 2007

Change is A Comin'

Every once in a while I feel I need to change things about how I'm managing my home. Here's the deal, three times this week the Lord had me catch bits and pieces of my former senior pastor, Joshua Harris, on Nancy Leigh DeMoss. He was speaking on the influence media has on us. What can I say, I feel conviction and know the Lord is about bring on some change.

I am often guilty of popping my kiddos in front of the TV to watch a video or catch Clifford and I KNOW that I am using it as a babysitter. But, before I go drastic, I know that TV in it of itself is not the Enemy. What I'm convicted of is not using the time God has given me (i.e. stewardship!) to do what His Word says.

Proverbs 22:6 says:
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.

I want to be better at stewarding the time God gives me to point my kiddos to Christ.

I need to discipline myself to be ever thinking in light of eternity. Hebrews 11:12 puts it this way: For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

I've asked my hubby for a few hours for some serious PLANNING. It'll be a retreat of sorts. The main goal will be to inquire of the Lord regarding my role of Home Manager. (By the way, I like that term better than "homemaker" as "homemaker" sounds like I'm just folding clothes and making beds. Know what I mean? Where's the "impacting souls for eternity" in that?!) I'm seeing where my family would benefit from some systems as dinner has been pathetic lately, clean up time has been ineffective, I still have stuff to unpack as well as dirty toilets that need cleaning and piles of stuff that need "a home".

SOOOOO - question for all other home managers out there!

What are some ways you maintain your focus on eternity while managing your home? And how do you keep your priorities straight (meaning God first, marriage second, and kiddos next)?

If there are any men out there who might read this, how are you maintaining your focus on eternity while providing for your family? And how do you keep your priorities straight (i.e. not putting your job over your wife or kiddos)?

1 comment:

Cara said...

Kia,

This is a great, honest post and one that's had me thinking about eternal perspective. You may already read this blog, but if not, there's a lady over at Preschoolers and Peace (http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/PreschoolersandPeace/) (Sorry--I don't know how to do a real link) who is doing a series on this very topic. Maybe you'll find some helpful thoughts there?

By the way, this is not at ALL intended to be contentious, but I have to disagree with you about the terms "homemaker" vs. "home manager." The term "manager" doesn't hold any inspiration for me--maybe because I associate it with the business world. But on the other hand, I LOVE thinking of myself as a homemaker, because it reminds me that a home really is something that has to be made. A house--well, that exists without me--it's just some wood and brick and glass. But a HOME--a place where my husband and children find peace and refuge, a place where needs are met and bodies refreshed and souls nourished for the glory of God--that's something that has to be made. And because of where God has placed me and the grace He gives, there's no one better to do it than me! (In my own family, that is.) Just my two cents! :)

Love,
cara